Re: overdrive

To: Randy Rees <randyr@starwave.com>
Subject: Re: overdrive
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 17:34:36 -0700
Randy,

Unfortunately, you don't have quite the right explanation for the function of
that
vacuum switch.  (This thread has either been bashed to death here or on the MG
Enthusiats BB, BTW.)  The switch is only operative when changing in or out of
overdrive, and I'll be darned if I can remember which without my workshop
manual!
This is from memory, so I'll be happy to stand corrected, but I think it serves
inhibit engagement of the overdrive when there is a high manifold vacuum
present.  For
example, when you are decelerating from fairly high rpms with your foot off the
throttle.  (I'll go get the book and double check, later.)  In any event, it
will not
serve to "automatically" drop you out of o'drive upon heavy acceleration.

In answer to one of Tom's original questions, I have been told that the switch
is
really not necessary.  It's certainly not necessary for the unit to function
and I
don't know just how much protection it would provide anyway.  If interested, I
can
copy the circuit diagram so you can see how it functions.

Bill Schooler