Re: everybody's talking, but no one hears a word

To: thomas_pokrefke@juno.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: everybody's talking, but no one hears a word
From: Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 17:53:21
At 03:53 PM 4/22/97 EDT, thomas_pokrefke@juno.com wrote:
>I often follow the practice, after I write an email, of re-reading it and
>deciding if the average reader could understand not only my humor, but
>the experience that I was attempting to relay.  Such is the nature of our
>medium: that which needs to be emphasized often cannot be, and the reader
>is left to make their own conclusions.
>
>As a result of the limitations, I have sat on this letter for about 2
>months.  I did not, and still do not, want to send it.  Ultimately, I
>think that everyone on this forum needs to understand the implications
>and importance contained within.  If nothing in this affects you, I am
>happy that you have achieved that level of humanity.  Most of us, myself
>included, need to take notice.
>
>I attended the New Orleans British Car Show with high expectations.  I
>was looking forward to the opportunity to meet other LBC owners and share
>stories. I parked my car in the parking lot, not in the show area, and
>made my way to the display.  At the edge of the parking lot was an older
>gentleman with one of the T series MG's.  I didn't realize it was his
>car, but when I walked up, I exclaimed that I had never seen one in
>person before.  "Son", he said, "I saw you pull up.  I think you deserve
>a seat."  He opened the door and let me, dirty shoes and all, sit in his
>car.
>
>Taking that as a providential sign of good things to come, I made my way
>to the display.  I tried to talk to the owner of a Sunbeam, but the owner
>was too busy wiping the dust off the engine.  A gentleman with a Bugeye
>Sprite wouldn't answer answer my questions with anything more than a flat
>'yes' or 'no'.
>
>One man, after watching me make my way down the row of E-Types, came over
>and showed me all the variations in each car.  I recognized him as the
>owner of the T type.  He hurriedly excused himself when an announcement
>was made over the PA.
>
>I spent a good deal of time looking at the MGB's.  I saw a boy about 5
>years younger than me looking at a B up the line.  By this time, I had
>already postulated what was going on, so I admired the car next to the
>one the boy was looking at.
>
>He was trying to ask the owner some questions about his carb (it was a
>Mikuni).  The owner of the car was giving him the same disinterested
>answers that I had gotten from other owners.  Then, the boy's father
>walks up and the owner begins to talk, in earnest, about the car with the
>boy's father.  The boy would ask a question, and the owner would tell the
>answer to the boy's father, not the boy.
>
>As I left, I passed by the old man and his wife enjoying some shade.
>"Leaving already?" he asked.
>
>He did not seem to be surprised.  I think he knew that I was viewed by
>many there as immature.  I suppose my youthful looks indicated a
>predisposition to loud stereos, lowered suspensions, and other un-british
>qualities.

> [...]

This has happened to me and I am 41.  My B needs a lot of work but I drive
it every where.  I have met those who shune me because they see my car and
figure I do not take things seriously, and I have met those who are more
than willing to share their knowledge.  As you travel through life you will
find that this attitude will prevail in the business world as well, it is
unfortunate that there are those that feel that they cannot pass on what
they know.  Since you have made this realization at a realitivly young age
I'm sure you will not fall into the same trap, good luck

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.
http://www.tiac.com/users/jroverca