Re: everybody's talking, but no one hears a word

To: Chris Eaton <cheaton@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: everybody's talking, but no one hears a word
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 12:48:08 -0500
Hi Chris:

I really enjoyed Thomas' and your letters.  How old do you have to be to
become an enthusiast?  I became an enthusiast in 1954 when I saw my first
'55 Chev.  I was 14 years old and had suddenly become aware of CARS.

In 1959 I bought my very own first car - except that it was a pickup truck
- 1940 Chev (same age as me)  It was a horrible, old worn-out battered
fragment, but I loved it.  I painted the valve cover silver and threw the
hood in the box because it looked so cool - dented fenders and all.  I
acquired my first LBC in 1960, but only briefly (something about university
students and sportscars while living at home).  It was a TR2.  After a
series of 1939 and '47 Chevs, on which I dutifully painted whitewalls, I
acquired my first "new" car on graduation.  It was a one year old Volvo
544.  I traded that Volvo two years later on a new Rover 2000 TC.  By this
time I was 25 years old and had been an enthusiast for 10 years.  I still
am, after having owned 147 cars and 71 motorcycles.  I love car shows,
rallys, car meetings, restoration, exhaust, intake - you name it.

I have met my share of jerks and enthusiasts.  I have won and lost more
trophies than I care to remember and have owned and do own garage queens
and beaters.

I take pride in the gorgeous queens and love to drive the rusted beaters.
I love LBCs from my Austin Devon project to my beautiful '70 MGB roadster.
I also love my big Ameripigs from my Chrysler and Cadillac convertibles to
my rusted 4 X 4 Suburban.

Enthusiasts come in all ages, sexes, races and persuasions.  They're people
- warts and all.  No one, no matter how big a jerk he is, can discourage an
enthusiast.  It's in his/her blood.  However, some organizations and some
of their members can discourage others from being associated with them.
People have been doing this for years in various exclusive clubs and
organizations.  To hell with them!

 Enjoy the cars, fix them up and take pride in them.  Take them to shows -
even the stuffy ones.  Tell the snobs to go to hell or criticize their cars
within earshot.  It's all a hobby, a passion and a way-of-life depending on
your commitment.  How deeply you choose to participate in it is entirely
your choice.

BTW, one of the truly effective ways to get attention - if that's what you
want - is to become an expert.  Read everything, study and ask questions
about a very specific part of the hobby.  Then spend the remaining years of
your life expounding that knowledge at every opportunity.  Try hard to
assume an arrogant and condescending way of imparting your knowledge.  Once
your knowledge of the physical properties of muffler bearings becomes
widespread, your appearance at all shows will be treated with a subdued
reverence - then you too will become one of the people Thomas met at the
show.  Remember that for many people this kind of expertise is their only
defence against the sheer mundanity of their trivial lives.

John McEwen