Dangerous Dirt

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Dangerous Dirt
From: Cancola@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 10:48:15 -0400 (EDT)
Listers,
           Yesterday I stopped in to see a fellow here in town that has five
B roadsters sitting in his drive.  I stop when I see him out working on one.
 Anyway he was telling me about some friends of his who own a 79 B and live
out on a dirt road.  Apparently they haven't lived there to long and when
they first moved there there B was in good shape.  Rust wise.  This fellow
said he saw their B not to long ago and it is completely rusting out.  He
said there was rust through where he had never seen rust B4.  If you have
read this far, here is the interesting idea he has come up with.  The dirt
road is treated with anti-dust chemicals.  His research tells him that the
chemicals used for this treatment attrack moisture to aid in dust reduction.
 In turn when the road is muddy from a rain storm, the mud flung onto the car
contains the chemicals.  If the mud is left on the car in hidden places then
the chemicals are in there grabbing any moisture that comes along, thus
aiding the rusting of the car.  And in this case he said the car is really
rotting away.
          Just thought I would pass this along,  Any chemists out there. Is
this possible?
          One other question.  My fellow lbcer made mention of auto trans
B's. He said  the rear end of these cars had a higher gear ratio than the
four speeds.   His theory, if this is correct, is that there would not be as
much need for O\D trannys if the higher rear end axle were placed under a
four speed car.  Any thoughts?  Anyone seen an auto trans B?  He thought they
were all left in the motherland.

                                       The sun is shinning today
                                        Bill in Colorado