Re: Dangerous Dirt

To: Cancola@aol.com
Subject: Re: Dangerous Dirt
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 13:58:48 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 27 Apr 1997 Cancola@aol.com wrote:

> Listers,
>            Yesterday I stopped in to see a fellow here in town that has five
> B roadsters sitting in his drive.  I stop when I see him out working on one.
>  Anyway he was telling me about some friends of his who own a 79 B and live
> out on a dirt road.  Apparently they haven't lived there to long and when
> they first moved there there B was in good shape.  Rust wise.  This fellow
> said he saw their B not to long ago and it is completely rusting out.  He
> said there was rust through where he had never seen rust B4.  If you have
> read this far, here is the interesting idea he has come up with.  The dirt
> road is treated with anti-dust chemicals.  His research tells him that the
> chemicals used for this treatment attrack moisture to aid in dust reduction.
>  In turn when the road is muddy from a rain storm, the mud flung onto the car
> contains the chemicals.  If the mud is left on the car in hidden places then
> the chemicals are in there grabbing any moisture that comes along, thus
> aiding the rusting of the car.  And in this case he said the car is really
> rotting away.
>           Just thought I would pass this along,  Any chemists out there. Is
> this possible?

I'm no chemist, but it sounds sensible to me.  Certain chemicals
certainly are hygroscopic, and I would not want them on my car.

>           One other question.  My fellow lbcer made mention of auto trans
> B's. He said  the rear end of these cars had a higher gear ratio than the
> four speeds.   His theory, if this is correct, is that there would not be as
> much need for O\D trannys if the higher rear end axle were placed under a
> four speed car.  Any thoughts?

Certainly a lower numerical rear axle ratio will reduce highway rpms, but
at the expense of acceleration.  Even then, I would think the effect
would be most serious off the line.  Once underway, you could hold each
gear longer.

Anyone seen an auto trans B?

I've seen an auto C but never an auto B.

He thought
they > were all left in the motherland.

   W. R. Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
                  gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8629