RE: B transmission mounts and cross-member installation tips needed

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: B transmission mounts and cross-member installation tips needed
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 12:37:00 -0700 (PDT)
First make sure that you have the mounts rotated the proper way. There are
two sets of mounting holes for the main crossmember to the frame and you can
swivle the v shaped tranny mount 180 deg. If you take this all appart it it
easy to get it backwards. Putting it togather backwards can move things
either 3/4 or 1/4 inch off. I found that the best way is to bolt the new
mounts onto the crossmember first ( one bolt either side ) then bold the
whole thing up to the tranny with the four bolts. These are course thread
bolts going into an aluminum tranny so be careful not to cross thread. As
long as you have all of the mounts on in the right orientation, you should
be able to line up the crossmember holes with the frame holes and slip a
bolt through. It helps to have several drifts/punches/screwdrivers so you
can pry on both holes on one side to work the holes closer. When you're
there, take out one of the tappered drifts lining up the hole and start the
first bolt. Go over to the other side repeat and then install the last two
bolts. Remember that you can adjust the length of the stay rod which
connects the bracket on the tranny/engine mating area to the crossmember.
When your done, none of the mounts, tranny or engine, should look like they
are being twisted or stressed. If they are, you probably have a mount
backwards somehwere.

Chris Reichle