Yo, Bob!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Yo, Bob!
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 16:46:14 -0500
While piling through about five digests Monday night, I noticed a tag line
written by a well known MGC flogger stating that I, along with my esteemed
MGA colleages, Larry and Barney, were a bit set in our ways.  Allow me to
set the record straight.

I am perfectly capable of changing my mind.  I will admit that most of the
time these changes in direction are involuntary, brought on because I often
can't remember what I said the first time and am likely to contradict it.
I believe that such behavior in people my age is described as "character."
I am as open minded as the next person on this list and flexible as I need
to be to fit through the door on my A.

Second, I drive an MGA by choice, not because I am too dim to understand or
appreciate more modern equipment.  I have read about MGC's and, although
they sound interesting, they have far too many main bearings for my taste.
I also heard a rumour that they have roll up windows but I find that hard
to believe since they are MG's, after all. Shoot, if it that were true you
had just as well drive a Tri**ph.   Besides, wasn't it one of those modern
contrivances that rebelled against you C and put it out of commission?  I
am referring to the blades on you "space age plastic" fan that chose to
break formation at the most inopportune time.   If this is progress, count
me out.

Seriously, though.  I find that the MGA is a perfect antidote for the
complexity of today's world.  In this month's Road and Track (50th
anniversary issue!)  they compare a TC to a Z3.  The differance of
complexity between these cars is mind boggling- especially from the
electronic side.  Sure the Z3 is capable of far more performance than the
TC but which one is more fun on a winding road on a beautiful Spring day?
It is the limitations of the older cars that demand driver involvement and
increase the enjoyment, in my book.  I chose an MGA for three reasons:  It
was the first sports car I experience when I was a kid (nostalgia), it is
one of the best looking of the sports cars (along with the TF), in my
opinion (emotion) and it is the oldest car that offers some level of
useability in today's world that I could afford (utility).

I am sure Bob understands this but to all others that think I am flaming
poor Bob,  _this is a joke_.

Besides, I would have a tough time choosing a group in which I would rather
be included.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA with the 3 main bearing God intended engines to have.

PS  Bob-  I, too am a big fan of flatheads.