Re: Midget suspension questions

To: <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: Midget suspension questions
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 18:15:22 -0400
During the rebuild of my '73 Midget, I wanted to install new kingpins
because the old ones were pitted on the journal surfaces (where they go
through the bushings).  I measured the journal diameters of the brand new
kingpins to be 0.6250 upper and 0.7802 lower.  Since the new kingpins
seemed to fit smoothly and tightly into the used bushings, I measured the
inner diameters of the bushings to be 0.6285 upper and 0.7820 lower.  The
differences between the bushing and kingpin diameters give the clearances
(0.0035 upper and 0.0018 lower).  You can take it from there.  I'm not sure
if the clearances should be the same.  I ended up taking the kingpins and
swivel axles with bushings to Motorhead in Arlington, VA for installation
and reaming of the bushings because no one near here had the proper reamers
to do the job anyway.
Steve Byers
Havelock, NC
'73 Midget