Re: Rubber bumper paint

To: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Subject: Re: Rubber bumper paint
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 21:15:18 -0500
Aron Travis wrote:

> My rubber bumpers need attention, is it possible to paint them?
> Like a semi-gloss or flat black?
> If so, what type of paint is good to use?
>
> -Aron Travis-
> "always in a automotive frenzy"

Aron -
        Yes, I did that on my '79B.  I removed them from the car, prepped the
metal parts for painting while I was at it.  Sanded the rubber with
increasingly finer grade paper just like you would body panels in
preparation for painting.  If you need to fill minor dents or holes, you
can use Bondo (or J-B Weld works also).  I found rubber bumper adhesion
promoter spray and flexible primer at Pep Boys.  Give it a good coat of
adhesion spray, then follow with successive light coats of primer.  I
wet-sanded between coats, then sprayed with a gloss black, again wet
sanding between coats.  Of course, you can use the semi-gloss or flat.
Both are available in a flexible formula.
        Mine has lasted quite well for about a year now.  I polish/wax the
bumpers as I wax the car.  There are photos on my website if you wish to
view them.  Sorry, I don't have any close-ups of the bumpers.
--
Keep on keepin' on!

Wayne Kube              wkube@iadfw.net
1979 MGB                http://web2.airmail.net/wkube