Re: Rust spots

To: "Wade Shanley" <Wadesh@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Rust spots
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 22:16:04 -0600 (MDT)
Wade:

I've had good results using chrome polish with scotch-brite pads, like you
find in the kitchen sink for scrubbing pots and pans. The pad is tough
enough to get the crud and rust off, but soft enough not to scratch the
chrome. This treatment brought many chrome pieces from my TD back to life.
The little rust freckles will turn into small black pin-holes which are
hardly noticable. Of course big rust freckles mean a whole piece of chrome
has flaked off and nothing will make that look good. I suggest frequent
waxing to keep the pin holes from re-rusting.

>Just recently picked up a 74MGB that was in storage in a barn in WI for two
>years.  As a result (among other things) the chrome bumpers have developed
>little rust freckles.  They look like they might rub out.  Anyone have any
>recommendations on how to tackle this without further damaging the chrome?
>
>Wade Shanley
>wadesh@msn.com

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
53 MG-TD #17639 under DIY restoration, NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB still in shop, 17 months and counting