Re: Mystery Parts on 72 Midget

To: byers@cconnect.net
Subject: Re: Mystery Parts on 72 Midget
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 08:57:47 -0500 (CDT)
Steve Byers writes:

> I don't think the original reference was to the silver can that mounts in
> the right side of the trunk, but to the plastic tee that comes out of a
> grommet on the right side of the trunk wall (below the panel between the
> cockpit and trunk.  Actually, it's next to the right wheel well.
> I just finished a restoration on a '73 Midget, and I wondered what the tee
> was for, too.  There is a short plastic tube attached to the bottom of the
> tee under the car, but the tube doesn't go anywhere, and I didn't find
> anyplace obvious for it to go.  Curious.

Don't remove it!!  It's a crucial part of the PBV (Positive Boot
Ventilation) system.  When in motion, the air flowing underneath the car
creates a venturi effect in the small plastic tube, which keeps the
boot under slightly negative pressure at all times.  This keeps blowby
(from those 6x9s you put in your rear bulkhead all those years ago) from
blowing out your boot seal.

--

Todd "Under slightly negative pressure myself" Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with healthy PBV

(witty quote here)