Re: Cooling, Midget Kingpins, Stainless Studs

To: Todd Mullins <todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Cooling, Midget Kingpins, Stainless Studs
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 11:55:48 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Todd Mullins!!

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Todd Mullins wrote:

> radiator, and the radiator support prevents (most) air from flowing

That's not the problem the shroud cures.  It's the flow of air from the
high pressure side of the fan blade around the tip to the low pressure
side of the blade.  When you prevent that, the efficiency of the fan is
noticably increased.  NOTE that at anything over 30 mph, you don't need
to use a fan, UNLESS you are in a VERY high temp area, or you are

Proof of concept is the clutch fan; the temperature activated one, NOT
that stupid rpm dependant one that disengages when the rpm goes up.

The shroud could be termed a poor man's Kort nozzle.  I notice that a
lot of electric fans are using that concept.

> around the radiator.  There is a little lip at the top edge of the
> support, just above the fan, that might be helping things.

Todd, on this newsgroup, either pontificate, or torment; NEVER guess...

That cheesey little plate was installed in response to the threat of
someone's little fingers contacting the fan blades, while the engine was
running.  In the old days, there was no such thing as due diligence, and
good engineering practice.  See the English Ford Anglia/Prefect '40's
vintage vehicles to see how far we've progressed.

> I've never had one, and I've never noticed a need for one.  I have to

Sounds like we need a good thread on cooling theory.  Wanna start it??

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen