Re: Cooling, Midget Kingpins, Stainless Studs

To: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Cooling, Midget Kingpins, Stainless Studs
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 16:36:09 -0400 (EDT)
> That's not the problem the shroud cures.  It's the flow of air from the
> high pressure side of the fan blade around the tip to the low pressure
> side of the blade.  When you prevent that, the efficiency of the fan is
> noticably increased.  NOTE that at anything over 30 mph, you don't need

> Sounds like we need a good thread on cooling theory.  Wanna start it??
>
> TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen

Fans?  Steekin' fans?  There's your problem right there.  You are
pushing/pulling the air through the radiator too fast to pick up any heat
from the radiator core.  What youse gotta do is slow that air down so it
stays in the radiator longer, and gets a chance to pick up heat and carry
it away from the water.  So the thing to do is to break half the blades
off your fan.  Best to break off blades opposite to each other, so as to
not cause an imbalance.  Just grab them and pry back and forth until they
fall off.  If the car still overheats, break off more blades, until the
car runs cool.

That should do it.  If not, then the problem is the water is running
through the radiator too fast to give up heat to the slower air.  Take a
c-clamp (G gramp for you brits), and clamp one of the radiator hoses shut.
That will certainly fix everything.

You see, I have been seen the light.  It was an epiphany.  I read in
Classic Auto Restorer (this month) some genius expert telling about the
water going through the block too fast when there was no thermostat, and I
snapped.  Who am I to argue with experts?

WRG

   W. R. Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
                  gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8629