Items carried 'just in case. . .'

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Items carried 'just in case. . .'
From: "Steve Dillen"<Steve_Dillen@ismbc.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 08:42:42 -0700
When I had my Spitfire, I once had to change a clutch in the center median
during rush hour traffic in Seattle.  Fortunately, the gearbox is removed
from inside the car -- I just jacked up the rear of the engine, removed the
center console, removed what seemed like 50,000 bell housing bolts, slave
cyl, and 4 bolts on the output flange.  Pulled the clutch, ran across the
street to the parts house, bought the new parts and put them back in --
total time of about two and a half hours.

I used to carry a floor jack, come-along, half case of oil, complete
socket/wrench set (including torque wrench), jumper cables, multi-meter,
cordless soldering iron and solder, spare oil filter, lots of electrical
tape, a hundred feet or so of rope, tie wraps (string enough of those
together and you can make a fan belt, make tire chains, tie new
acquisitions to the luggage rack, make hose clamps, or whatever. . .), some
gasket material, and a gallon of water.  Oh, and always a frisbee, which
can be used as a water dish for pets, or a parts tray in addition to
putting to its normal use in any open fields. . .