Re: another Midget mystery part

To: Mike Ellsworth <mikeells@alpha.shianet.org>
Subject: Re: another Midget mystery part
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 16:53:11 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 5 May 1997, Mike Ellsworth wrote:

> When someone recently asked and got an answer to the plastic tee in the
> trunk question, I decided to ask about one which I have wondered about. On
> the tonneau cover for my 71 Midget, are 2 tabs about halfway front to back,
> and near the center zipper. They are about 2" by 3" and have lift dot
> fasteners in the center. What are these for, and what are they supposed to
> fasten too?  If you don't know, maybe we can think of something.

If you look at the near vertical surface that runs across your car just
behind the rear of the seats, you should find posts that fit into the
liftadots.  When the car is being driven, the tonneau can be pulled down
behind the seats, the leading edge folded under, and the tabs attached to
the posts to hold the assembly neatly.  I am sure that there is somebody,
somewhere in the world, whose life is so empty he actually fastens the
tonneau in this way.  I just stuff it down behind the seat and take off,
like any sensible person.  (Of course, my ex- always complained I did not
put the seat down after I used the toilet.  I figured anybody who would
sit down without checking the position of the seat deserved what she got.
But I digress.)

   W. R. Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
                  gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8629