FW: MGB has weak spark - ignition upgrade suggestions?

To: mgs
Subject: FW: MGB has weak spark - ignition upgrade suggestions?
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 17:12:35 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Joe Peck
<mgnut@cyberage.com>]]

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 19:04:26 -0400
From: Joe Peck <mgnut@cyberage.com>

My 80 B is having ignition problems that seem to be caused by weak
spark.  It's not the battery (we tried a new one) and I've tried new
plugs and wires.  So the guy at the shop is recommending an aftermarket
ignition system, running my about $250 bucks.  I think he means
electonic ignition unit and a new coil.

Does anyone have suggestions?  I've just moved to Austin and haven't
located a favorite MG parts store yet.  I also don't know much about
what can be done as far as an ignition system goes.  I also tend to keep
things stock, but maybe this is an area where it pays to have a better
aftermarket replacement.  (BTW - I'm still running with a ZS carb, which
is also giving me problems).

I was considering just a new coil, but the shop guy is saying it could
be more than the coil.  what's he referring to?  Normally I'd swap parts
from my second B, but that's in the moving company's storage lot so I
can't get to it right now.

How does one test a coil, and what else should i be considering?  I'm
really tired of having poor starts and would just like to get this
resolved.

Please copy a reply to me directly, as the digest is sometimes delayed a
copule of days.

Thanks in advance,
Joe