Weak spark....

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, mgnut@cyberage.com
Subject: Weak spark....
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 00:37:40 +0100
My 80 B is having ignition problems that seem to be caused by weak
spark.  It's not the battery (we tried a new one) and I've tried new
plugs and wires.  So the guy at the shop is recommending an aftermarket
ignition system, running my about $250 bucks.  I think he means
electonic ignition unit and a new coil....

How old is your starter? It makes a great amperage sink. It could be
drawing so many amps that not enough is left over for the ignition.
Also, make sure you are getting 12 volts on the positive side of the
coil (or ballast resister) before cranking.

You are only complaining of poor starting. If it runs fine otherwise,
the starter is the only thing I can think of. Live on a hill? Does it
bump start with no problems?

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6