Re: FW: Introduction ( re: "beaters")

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: FW: Introduction ( re: "beaters")
From: barry@fountain.net
Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 06:30:21 +0000
Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> [BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Steve@AZTech.Net]]
>
>      Date: Tue, 22 Apr 97 22:51:54 -0700
>      From: Steve@AZTech.Net
>      Subject: Introduction
>
> I recently signed on to this mailing list, and thought I should introduce
> myself and my car.
>
> Me: I was born in '69 and am a software engineer by trade.  Like many others
>in
> my field, if it's a hardware problem, I don't know how to cope with it other
> than to hand it off to the hardware guys.

  As a network engineer by trade I've seen this fairly simple boxes that
move
information from here to there change a little like cars have.  Now
there's so
much 'intelligence' built into the things it takes an expert to figure
out what
automatic feature has stopped the beast from letting this computer talk
to that
one.

> My car:  Many would classify her as a "beater", but my '74 MGB has been a
>daily
> driver for almost all of her life.  She was manufacutred in the latter half of
> '73.  My uncle purchased her new in '74 in Chicago.  About '76 or so, she made
> the trek out west to AZ.  I don't know exactly when, but at some point my
>uncle
> sold the car to my dad.  Mom & Pop eventually split up, and mom got the B as
> part of the deal '88 or thereabouts.  A couple of years later, I bought it off
> of her.  (Call her an heirloom?)
>
> The odo reads a constant 111, since the point where it and the speedo gave up
> the ghost.  The fuel gague died too, and I keep meaning to getting around to
> fixing it, but it's just easier to fill her up every thursday than to muck
>with
> it...
>
> The daily comute is a little over 12 miles in each direction, and except for
> our hottest days 110-120F, she's a happy camper.  Heck, I'm not a happy camper
> on our hottest days, given the lack of AC.
>
> Oh, yeah: The paint job is original, except for the bits of grey bondo that
> got tacked on after a CRX decided to pull in front of me and stop when I was
> trying to pull into traffic.  (Harvest Gold looks really bad after 20+ years
> of abuse by the sun...)

  Thanks!  I feel less alone.  I bought my '78 B before I knew anything
about LBCs
other than that I'd wanted am MG since I was 8 ( Sterling Moss driving
one in a
British kids mag my dad brought back from a trip in the early 60s ).
I'm glad I
did, 'cause I'd probably have not if I'd known better, and I love her
attitude.
But having a beautiful steel blue A pass me on Ward Parkway yesterday I
was feeling
a little out of place.  The DPO had let his kids drive her to school,
and the passenger
door has cracked, the interior is worn, torn and has holes cut into the
trunk for
monster speakers; the shell will require new panels for the rust holes,
and the
Vermillion red is splotchy and scratched; plus the front end needs
corrective surgery.
But the engine's in good shape, so I'm told, and I get to work each day
reliably - only
had one breakdown in 18 months.  And I can now afford to start fixing up
and then
restoring.  But it's good to know there are other "beaters" out there,
not glamorous
but providing an enjoyable daily experience.

> Mods:  Single 12V battery, Weber Downdraft carb, it looks like I have a '69
> or thereabouts bloc, given the troubles I had with my last water-pump
> installation.  Most of the rest is just cosmetic.
>
> Hint: Getting thourh emissions (high HCs) involved upping the idle revs to
>about
> 1800 RPM and disconnecting the tube to the vacuum pump.
>
> Last words: Keep 'em on the road!

   I couldn't agree more!

> --
> Steve

        Barry
        '78 B ( a daily "beater" )
        '89 Suzuki Sidekick ( a tank - been hit more times than a boxer but
still
                keeps going ).