RE: Fuel Guage - calibration?

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Fuel Guage - calibration?
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 09:46:00 -0700 (PDT)
replacing the sender unit in the tank would probably fix the problem.

Chris Reichle
 ----------
From: mgs-owner
To: mgs
Subject: Fuel Guage - calibration?
Date: Tuesday,May 06,1997 3:20PM

Hi folks.

I kept an eye on the now defunct thread about broken gas gauges but
nobody described the situation I'v got, so here goes....

About two weeks into my new car and I've noticed now that my gas
gauge registers two gallons of gas (in a car with 7+gallon tank) as
half-full.  When the tank is full, the needle goes all the way past
the "F" and stays there for quite some time before falling off. Once
the needle reaches about the half-full mark, I get the number of
miles I would expect from two gallons.

It appears that everything works correctly in the sense that the
needle travels the full continuum on the gauge.  Can the system be
calibrated in anyway or am I looking at new parts?  I'm going to drop
the gas tank anyway to check for corrosion so any ideas on what else
I should check on will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Chris.
'76 Midget