V8 Conversion Plan

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: V8 Conversion Plan
From: Rick Huber <102221.1716@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 08 May 97 07:52:15 EDT
Rick Huber (that's me) asked: for chrome bumper V8 conversion - "Is it better
(easier, cheaper) to start with a chrome bumpered car and modify the engine bay
/
transmission tunnel (anything else?) for the V8 or a rubber bumpered car that
can take the V8, and then lower it and convert it to chrome bumpers.  If anybody

can help me out, please e-mail me directly.

In response, Larry Dickstein said:

" Well, Rick, you have picked an ambitious plan.  The answers to
your questions are yes and yes.
        The chrome bumper models require a lot of under bonnet  changes
to wit: inner fender wells, radiator supports, firewall changes, etc.  If
you use a Rover SD1 transmission then the trans tunnel must modified as
well.  Doable, but not a project for  the faint of heart.  The later 78+
rubber bumper engine bays make  it a virtual  drop in.  The lowering of
the vehicle will entail a change of front cross member.  That in itself
is easy but then you have to change the steering column as well in order
to accommodate the headers for  the V8 unless you use through the inner
fender headers.  Where this is all going, is that every time you change
something, then there is the equal and opposite reaction.  Doable, but
not a snap.
        The rear of  a rubber bumper car can be lowered w/ ease as spring
variation allow.  The REAL BIG  THING is your state's emission laws.  I
live in Missouri and the laws deal w/ the year of the  car and not the
engine.  Therefore, I  picked a '67 MGB (pre-emission) car to convert.  I
could put a jet engine in and the state wouldn't care as long as the
emission standards met w/ '67 law and that was a PCV valve and nothing
else.  That is not to say that all this could not change tomorrow.  Some
states base their laws on the year of the engine.  My engine, from a '80
TR8, would have to comply w/ the standards for 1980 in those states and
that would  take all the fun  out of it.  No Holley carb, no Offenhauser
manifolds, etc.
        In conclusion, it is doable.  I am about 75% done w/ mine and it
looks pretty good so far.  Keep in mind, too, that these cars were
designed for 85 hp and not 200+ so brakes, drive lines, shocks, etc.,
must be considered, as well.  You need to  contact the V8 Newsletter in
you have not yet done that.  The  First Annual MG V8 convention is in St.
Louis, MO, this June.  If you need the details on either or both, write
back.

Larry Dickstein
bugide@juno.com " End of copied message

Graham McCann from way down under chimed in with:

"Rick,

I have seen V8 conversions in a chrome bumper car but you are making it
very difficult for yourself.  If you must use a chrome bumper car see if
you can find an unwanted MGC, as it had a larger engine bay.

There is a very good book on the subject, to which I will get you the
details if you want it.

I have both a factory MGB GT V8 and a modified 1978 roadster.  The latter
has a 1985 fuel injected Range Rover V8 in it, matched to a Toyota Supra 5
speed box, a limited slip diff and upgraded suspension and brakes.  If you
go this route you have to modify the bonnet to fit over the plenum chamber,
although if you use a standard carburetted Rover V8 the carbies will not
fit under the existing bonnet.  The factory V8s had a special inlet
manifold to 'flatten' the top of the motor to fit under the bonnet.

If you approval requirements are anything like here when it comes to
changing motors to a non standard (remember the roadster was never made by
the factory because they believed the roadster body was not strong enough.
The RV8 of a few years ago was very much modified to take the V8) then ask
before you start.  Mine was one of the first done in this country and the
chap who did it paid huge amounts to get twist tests done.  Also he had to
use the fuel injected motor because the carburetted engine could not meet
the pollution rules applying to 1978 vehicles.  What you plan might allow
you to use an older body and so offset this requirement, if it applies over
there.

In a word, hasten slowly.

regards,

Graham
Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
gmccann@pcug.org.au
Phone/Fax: +61 6 2889055  "End of message

Larry Hoy asked that we share with the list, but he sent a copy to the list so
I'm not resending that one. Larry's idea is probably the best one, people that
respond can respond to me directly can send a copy to the list.  If they don't
I'll package them up like this.  Isn't this e-mail wonderful stuff.  Isn't the
MG world also wonderful stuff.

Safety Fast,

Rick Huber