Re: info on '52 MG

To: Scott Gardner <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Subject: Re: info on '52 MG
From: The English Connection <engconn@pottsville.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 15:37:53 -0400
Scott Gardner wrote:

> Time to tap the valuable font of information here on the list again.
> I really don't know anything about any MGs except the 'B', and my mom
> asked me a question today that I promised her I'd pass on to you
> guys.
>    She just got back from a trip to Los Angeles, and one of her old
> high school friends has an MG that's been in storage for a few dozen
> years.  Mom didn't find out the model, but she said it was a 1952,
> and her friend's husband said that it didn't have "big, tall, tires",
> but that the previous year did.  Any idea what model this is, and
> what it would be worth in original, unrestored condition?  It was
> just about perfect when it was stored, but I'm sure the years have
> taken their toll.   My mom has always liked my sports cars, and I
> think she may be thinking of buying it, and just writing a check for
> a complete renovation. (Oh, to have my parents' financial
> resources...)  Thanks so much, I really wish I knew more about the
> other MG models, but I'm still learning scads of stuff about mine!
> Scott Gardner gardner@lwcomm.com
> Scott Gardner
> gardner@lwcomm.com
> www.lwcomm.com/~gardner

Scott, the car is an MG TD.  If it has been stored properly and in dry
conditions, then the wood in the body tub may be OK.  If not then a
total rebuild is probably on the cards, as the body tub will probably
fall apart.
As a speciallist in the restoration of TDs and TFs, I would like to
stress the possible costs of restoring one of these cars. It can run
into many thousands if it is going to be done properly , but if you've
got the bucks and want to take a long term view, then it is definitely
worth it.

Possible price??  Depends entirely on the state of the tub, the
condition of the chrome, the instruments, the interior, what's missing
etc.. etc..  Remember if you are going to entirely restore a car you are
better off buying a complete wreck rather than paying higher bucks just
to start at a higher level.  Anywhere between $2000 and $10,000
depending entirely on what has to be done, and how far the new owner
wants to go.

Geoff Love