Barney, get out your slide rule!

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@juno.com>
Subject: Barney, get out your slide rule!
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 08:40:23 -0500
Barney,

I picked up a serviceable speedometer at a swap meet this weekend. My
C/GT speedometer has 980 on the face and this new one has, maybe 1230.
The C is supposd to have 3.7 gears (or 3.3) and mine has a 3.9. On a
road test the odomoeter is (surprise!) pretty darn close enough.

But the speedometer is 20% high. (At around 60 I'm seeing 70+).

So you wanna take a guess at how much material should be taken off the
end of the permanent magnet to bring the speed down 15-20%? Or at least
a good rule of thumb? Increase the air gap to the outer flange 15%? Or
should it be 7.5%?

The speedo was cheap; this is just a curiosity experiement.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6