Re: Barney, get out your slide rule!

To: boballen@sky.net
Subject: Re: Barney, get out your slide rule!
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 22:02:35 EDT
On Mon, 12 May 1997 08:40:23 -0500 Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
writes:

>I picked up a serviceable speedometer .....  On a road test the
odomoeter is (surprise!) pretty darn close enough.

>But the speedometer is 20% high. (At around 60 I'm seeing 70+).
>
>So you wanna take a guess at how much material should be taken off the
end of the permanent magnet to bring the speed down .....
  _____
V 70/60  =  1.080
  ______
V 1.2/1.0  =  1.095

Measure carefully, and go at it slowly.  Easier to take off more later
than to add it back on.  I don't know what the current air gap is, but if
it starts out at 0.030" we're talking less than 0.003" here.

Lemmeno how you make out.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA