Re: GT Leaf Springs on a ' 64 roadster

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GT Leaf Springs on a ' 64 roadster
From: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 16:39:34 -0700
At 12:10 AM 5/12/97 -0700, you wrote:
>> more.  I thought that a thread on the list sometime ago said that the car
>> will "settle" out eventually.  I had  2 people on the list who said that
>
>A new set of springs will "settle", and take a set that will stay the
>same for a long time, until they eventually fatigue and then "sag".
>Your problem is that the GT is HEAVIER then the "B", so the "GT" springs
>have a higher spring rate, and will take a lot longer to fatigue with
>the lighter load imposed by the "B"... unless you load down the "B".

I put a set of new GT springs on my early '74 B a few years ago along with
a conversion to tube shocks (rear only). I like the springs' feel. There
are 7 leaves instead of the roadster's 6. The car is a bit bouncier than
normal though, but it will still bottom out if I'm going fast enough over a
large road defect.

Craig Wiper
craigw@sonic.net
http://www.sonic.net/~craigw