Re: Intermittent starting

To: JWidell625@aol.com
Subject: Re: Intermittent starting
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 06:01:06 -0500
JWidell625@aol.com wrote:

> Need a little advice. I have a 77 B which has a minor electrical anomaly
> (surprise).
> It will turn over fine on most occasions, then intermittently will just
> activate the starter relay.  I've checked the grounds, replaced the relay,
> checked the ignition switch,etc.  Several weeks back, someone spoke of diodes
> that may go bad. I've been doing a dianostic check through the Haynes manual
> and noticed these diodes on the schematic. There're in the relay circuit.
> Could these cause the intermittent starts? Also, the starter is fairly new.
> Could it still have a " dead spot"

J -
        If the relay has been replaced, and it activates, that rules out the
relay or the switch.  Could be the solenoid mounted on the starter, or
it could be a dead spot on the starter.  The diode, if it fails, causes
the starter to engage when the handbrake is lifted, but won't prevent it
from starting.  I'd check the starter again.

--
Keep on keepin' on!

Wayne Kube              wkube@iadfw.net
1979 MGB                http://web2.airmail.net/wkube