Cactus is our friend

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cactus is our friend
From: thomas_pokrefke@juno.com
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 22:07:44 EDT
My crankshaft pulley finally gave up the ghost.  The two halves had
delaminated at the outer portion could move front-to-rear about 1/2".
Not a good thing.

I took the pulley off and seperated the two halves.  The outer portion
still had the rubber bonded to it.  I roughened up the surface of the
inside hub with emery cloth and thoroughly cleaned off the residue.  I
lightly 'scratched' the rubber material and thoroughly cleaned it.

The two halves would still fit together rather tightly, so I decided I
had nothing to loose.  I put blue silicone sealer/adhesive to both parts,
clamped them tightly together, and put them in the oven overnight.

The resulting pulley appeared to have enough strength.  In order to
relieve stress on the unit, I removed the heavy metal cooling fan and put
in an electric unit.  I just drove 130 miles back to school (2 hours @
4000 rpm).  The pulley is still intact.

I doubt my repair is permanent, but what the hell, it keeps me on the
road.

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
1970 MGB
thomas_pokrefke@juno.com