Re: newbie question

To: dandr@mail.gwi.net
Subject: Re: newbie question
From: Bill Kostka <bkostka@rgv01.rgv.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 7:29:19 PDT
Hi Dave,

I have an OD in my 77B which has had only a couple of problems.  The
solenoid did fail a while back, but its symptoms were not as you
describe your problem.  It would sort of engage and disengage but never
fully in the disengage mode when it was turned on.  It felt more like
the engine was surging.  When in reverse, there was little or no reverse.
Since the owners manual has a caution about using reverse if stuck in OD,
I did very little backing up until I fixed the solenoid.  I tried removing,
cleaning, and reassembling but it was no better.  I bought a solenoid kit
from Moss and it fixed the problem.

The other problem I had sounds more like yours.  My switch for the OD
is not very good.  I have to really flick it back to make the contacts
move to the engaged position.  It turns off easily, but if I just slide
the switch back turn it on, I run out of travel before the contacts switch.
It sounds like you might have a similar problem so you have to try a
couple of times to get the switch to engage.

I took out the switch and cleaned it thoroughly and then used a lubricated
contact cleaner on it and it is better but not great.  Someday when I
order a bunch of stuff I will include a new switch.

Just a note... The solenoid is a big coil.  If you are poking around
holding the wires with the power on, if you hold the wires together when
separate them you will get a shock similar to a spark plug shock as the
field in the coil collapses.  It isn't painful it is just a reminder that
even though it is low voltage (12V) it is still electricity.

Good Luck,

Bill
77B