MGA steering rack

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA steering rack
From: phil sims <phil@wilsongriak.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 09:51:32 -0500
Finishing up on "Spring cleaning" of my 60MGA. I happend to look at my
wheels leaning against the garage wall and noticed one exhibited somewhat
more wear than the other three. These are Dunlop SP4's purchased last
summer, maybe 2,000 miles ago. The tire in question came from the left
front ( yeah, I know it's a little anal-retentive to tag the wheels when
you take them off, but...well...)
I grabbed the suspension assembly in question and witnessed a small but
noticible loosness when wiggling it left and right; none up and down. Front
suspension rebuilt one year ago, new bushes, new kingpin bolts, welded up
and redrilled A-arm holes, new tie-rod ends. Sooo, the play exhibited seems
to be within the rack.Right side was tighter than well, whatever you would
like it to be tighter than.

Looking at exploded view of rack in Moss book It appears there is a
"tie-rod" internal to the rack with some shims .003 and .005.
Is ther a typical(yeah its British...nothing is typical)failure here. Do I
add shims or replace the internal tie-rod , or??

Any help greatly appriciated.

Phil Sims

Phil Sims
Wilson-Griak,Inc.