Re: MGA steering rack

To: phil@wilsongriak.com
Subject: Re: MGA steering rack
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 14:07:25 EDT
On Wed, 14 May 1997 09:51:32 -0500 phil sims <phil@wilsongriak.com>
writes:

> ..... the left front ..... a small but noticible loosness when wiggling
it left and right; none up and down. ..... the play exhibited seems to be
within the rack. .....

> .....  It appears there is a "tie-rod" internal to the rack with some
shims .003 and .005. Is ther a typical(yeah its British...nothing is
typical)failure here. Do I add shims or replace the internal tie-rod ,
or??

Removing shims should tighten the inner ball end joint, if you can get it
apart.  Mine have been just a little loose for years, not enough to cause
problems, but I would like to make it better.  I've tried more than once
to fix it, bit I can't get the ball assembly apart, too darn tight to
unscrew.

It looks like you need a couple of special wrenches.  The "Ball Housing,
Female"  looks like a large acorn shell with two slots like key ways in
the outer surface and an internal thread.  The "Ball Housing, Male" has
the male thread and has two holes in the flat face.  I tried a couple of
bicycle pin wrenches, but they were not nearly strong enough.  I can
clamp the acorn housing in a vise of hold it with a pipe wrench, but the
other side is impossible.

I fabricated a pin spanner wrench from 1/4" steel flat stock and two
dowel pins to fit the holes in the housing (can't remember the exact size
of the holes, but not very big).  I applied gobs of torque and promptly
broke one of the hardened steel dowel pins on my wrench.  I haven't had
the heart to try the Blue Wrench yet since I don't have a spare rack and
don't want to risk putting the car out of service.  Looks like a job for
next winter.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic.  Maybe your luck will be better.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA