Re: tube shocks, (safety warning)

To: "G.J." <johnsong@is2.dal.ca>
Subject: Re: tube shocks, (safety warning)
From: Gary Burrell <garyb@pentek.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 10:02:32 -0400
G.J. wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 1997, Gary Burrell wrote:
> > Dave,
> > I agree with Larry above.  One other thing you might want to consider is
> > using nylatron bushings on the shackle.  You can also use them on the
> > pads,
> > depending on how much you want to trade performance for comfort.  The
> > Nylatron bushings have little/no give so they locate the spings better
> > and don't allow any side to side movement.  When I did my car I went
> > with
> > uprated lowered springs front and rear with nylatron bushings all around
> > and the difference in handling was fantastic, however some people say
> > doing this causes a harsher ride, but I haven't noticed (It not like an
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > MGB has a land yacht type ride in the first place.)
>
> Yes Gary, but you must also mention you have tube shocks front and rear!
> Makes a big difference in the ride of your car.  When you let me drive
> your car a couple of years ago, I found it drove like a caddy compared to
> my 'B!

Yes, I did forget to mention that.  One important thing about the
tube shock conversion I must mention, is that all of these
conversions, if not properly maintained have a SERIOUS SAFETY
PROBLEM!!!!
Please if you have a tube shock conversion make sure the bolts
holding the front brackets on are properly torqued down and check
them regularly.  If these bolts become loose, they are apt to
shear off, with potentially serious results.  (Bad ASCII ART to
follow)

           |-|      |-|   <-- Long Bolt
        |---*--------*--| <-- Bracket
        |   *        *  ----------|  <-- Shock mouting point
        |__ * ______ * _|---------|
           |*|      |*|         /\
           |*|      |*|         |  <-- Very large bending moment
           |*|      |*|         |      Due to shock forces
           |*|      |*|         \/
            *        *

If the bolts are loose the large bending moment caused by the shock
causes the bracket to twist and imparts a shearing force on the
long bolts, and can cause them to shear.  This is not a problem if
the bolts are tight, so no need to be concerned as long as you
maintain your car and check the bolts once in a while.  If you
put the conversion on years ago and haven't touched it since it
might be worth 5 mins just to check and make sure the bolts are
still tight.

Gary

--
Gary Burrell