Fuel tank vent?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fuel tank vent?
From: Jamey Harris <jameyh@charles.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 11:04:20 -0700 (PDT)
Hello again,

I was roadtripping this weekend, and everything was going great when
suddenly my '79 B acted as if it was out of gas.  I knew there was gas in
the tank, and it would start, but it would then cut out.  I checked a
bunch of stuff but eventually realized that it was a clogged fuel tank
vent (that's the explanation my Haynes Manual gives).  Apparently, as I
empty the tank the clogged vent causes a build-up of negative pressure
inside untill the fuel pump can't overcome the vacuum, and it fails to
deliver fuel to the carb.  My temporary solution has simply been to
remove the gas cap every 30 miles or so.  This releases the pressure and
the fuel gets delivered, but someday I will be on a road trip in the
rain, and the gas cap solution will be very inconvenient.  Besides, this
is probably putting unnecessary strain on my fuel pump.  I had a point to
all this when I started....oh, yes.  I've checked the Haynes and factory
manuals, and I can't find where the darn fuel tank vent is.  I'm assuming
it's different from the vapor lines because they appear to be a closed
system.  Can anybody please help me out?

Thanks in advance, as usual.

Jamey Harris
'79 B
'97 Reeboks