Re: Fuel tank vent?

To: Jamey Harris <jameyh@charles.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: Fuel tank vent?
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 22:38:44 -0500
Jamey Harris wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I was roadtripping this weekend, and everything was going great when
> suddenly my '79 B acted as if it was out of gas.

<snip>

> I've checked the Haynes and factory
> manuals, and I can't find where the darn fuel tank vent is.  I'm assuming
> it's different from the vapor lines because they appear to be a closed
> system.  Can anybody please help me out?
>
> Thanks in advance, as usual.
>
> Jamey Harris
> '79 B

Jamey -
        Been there, done that!  The tank on your '79B vents through those
"vapor lines".  You'll notice a line exiting the top of the fuel tank in
the boot next to the filler pipe.  It connects to that flat cylinder
bolted to the inside of the right side of the boot.  From this, the line
does a loop at the top inside of the boot by the hinges, goes back down
to the boot floor near the fuel pump, then travels underside the car
following the same path as the fuel line and the wiring harness.  It
then goes up to the adsorption cannisters on the right side firewall in
the engine compartment.  If this line is plugged up at any point, the
symptoms are as you describe.  Disconnect the line from the adsorption
cannister and at the other end in the boot.  Try to blow air through
it.  Mine was plugged from debris from years of sitting, but I was able
to clear it with compressed air.  I reconnected everything, this allows
the vent air to be filtered by the adsorption cannisters before going
into the fuel tank.  Another possibility is the line may have been
damaged under the car by speed bumps, etc.
--
Keep on keepin' on!

Wayne Kube              wkube@iadfw.net
1979 MGB                http://web2.airmail.net/wkube