Re: Painting the garage floor

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: Painting the garage floor
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 12:08:28 -0700 (PDT) (19:08 UT)
When we bought the new house, I painted the garage floor gray with
epoxy two-part paint.  I vaguely recall paying about $35 a gallon, and
two gallons was enough for two coats on my three-car garage.  I was
worried about the high-gloss finish, so I added the sand in the second
coat.  The sand did not go down evenly when mixed with the paint, although
it certainly has the desired effect.  You most definitely do not want to
drag yourself across it to slide under the car! Throw down some cardboard,
or use a creeper.
It dries very quickly.  You can begin the second coat almost as soon as
you finish the first.  We were stacking boxes and moving furniture on
it after 24 hours, and parking cars in 48.
It has held up very well for the eighteen months it's been in place.
Oil, gas, brake fluid, and hot tires don't bother it.  I did manage
to take off a couple of spots when the front brakes froze after a rain,
and the rear tires did a good 'chirp' backing out.
It looks much better than the concrete, and it's much easier to keep
clean.
It was funny, though.  As I was rolling the paint on, people would
walk by and ask "Are you painting your garage floor?" "No, I'm dancing
the tango with a paint roller."
Get two rollers.  The foam roller I used was in sad shape well before the
second coat was done....

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV.unisys.com    | "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*