Re: TD engine stabilizer

To: Steve Tritle <stevet@hbp.com>
Subject: Re: TD engine stabilizer
From: The English Connection <engconn@pottsville.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 21:04:27 -0400
Steve Tritle wrote:

> What is the correct way to tighten the engine stabilizer on a TD?
> My engine moves and I need the collective wisdom to stabilize the
> engine.
> Do I "push" or Pull the engine to tighten it at the stabilizer. And how
> do I actually adjust the stabilizer?
>
> Steve
> 52 TD

Steve:  The stabilizer is a turnbuckle with both a left and a right hand
thread on the inner portion.  Undo the outer nut so the stabilizer is
free to slide in and out of the hole on the vertical bracket when the
engine is pushed sideways.  Allow the engine to rest on it's bearers in
it's 'natural' position.  Then undo the two locknuts adjacent to the
turnbuckle's long centre nut.  Holding the outer threaded rod with a
mole wrench, use a spanner to turn the long nut one way or the other so
that the stabliizer either lengthens or shortens, until the loose end's
inner rubber pad touches the vertical bracket, with out moving the motor
from it's 'natural' position.  Tighten the two lock nuts, and finally
tighten the outer nut so that the vertical bracket is gripped firmly
between the two rubber pads.  Then pass a split pin through the
castellated nut and the threaded rod, or if you are using a self
gripping nut, tighten it as above.

The idea is to allow the engine to rest on it's bearers in a vertical
position and to prevent it from moving from side to side under load
while at the same time damping vibrations as much as possible.

Geoff