Re: TD engine stabilizer

To: stevet@hbp.com (Steve Tritle)
Subject: Re: TD engine stabilizer
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 23:09:13 -0600 (MDT)
>What is the correct way to tighten the engine stabilizer on a TD?
>My engine moves and I need the collective wisdom to stabilize the
>engine.
>Do I "push" or Pull the engine to tighten it at the stabilizer. And how
>do I actually adjust the stabilizer?
>
>Steve
>52 TD

Steve:

        The shop manual says the engine should neither be pulled or pushed.
In other words the stabilizer should not move the engine from it's normal
resting position. The engine and the radiator should line up so that the big
radiator hose does not have to bend. The stabilizer link length is
adjustable and should be set so that it neither pushes or pulls on the
engine. When everything is set right, you can still rock the engine a bit
with your hand on the valve cover, but it should have a nice firm feel. My
engine was loose as a goose untill I put new rubber bits on the link ends.
(The engine also needed new motor mounts, but thats another matter.)

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
53 MG-TD #17639 under DIY restoration, NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB still in shop, 17 months and counting