cylinder head flavours?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: cylinder head flavours?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 20:13:51 +0000
Now that I've gotten the head off of my '72 B, an interesting
question comes up.  I have an 18V, low-compression engine
(18V585ZL1203), with dished pistons (probably stock).  I also have a
1965 cylinder head, which, I believe, has larger combustion chambers
than the later heads, since the earlier pistons had less of a dish to
them.  With the dished pistons and larger combustion chamber, am I
running some godawful low compression ratio?  Note that prior to my
mysterious pinging that started this whole adventure this weekend, my
engine had never knocked or pinged, even with over-advanced timing
and 87 octane gas, so I would think this points to a low CR.
thanks,
Scott