Re: [Fwd: HELP!]

To: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: HELP!]
From: "Vince J. Pujalte" <pujalte@stic.net>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 23:11:08 -0700
Chris,
  I have a Lucas CEI Electronic ignition system in my '78 Midget.
  I was under the impression that it was bad a few months ago.
  I was told that I "had" to get an Allison/Crane unit to replace it.
  A new Crane unit was ~$100. I had nothing to lose.
  I opened the CEI "Brain" and discovered a standard GM ignition module
inside. I replaced it for ~$20.00 (I installed a Borg-Warner CBE4).
  Now my Midget runs fine.
  Maybe your Allison unit has a std. GM Module in it.
  I would first check for continous power to the Allison system;
especially when it fails. Try flexing the wires that feed the coil and
brain while testing them for power. Also, (Ignition off), check for
continuity from the coil and brain to the dizzy.If everything wire-wise
checks out, then you might consider a lobotomy on the Allison "brain."
  I hope that this helps you.

God Bless,
-Vince
'78 Midget "Betsy"