Main bearing replacement

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Main bearing replacement
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 09:59:04 -0500
Has anyone replace main bearings in a 1600 without pulling the engine?

My chief concern is the front bearing.  It looks like there are two bolts
into the saddle from the front that hold on the engine plate.  Are these
under the timing cover?  Is there enough room to pull the saddle and, if
so, what tools should I use?

If I can't get the front bearing out, what do people think about just
replacing the other two bearings?  I can't think of a reason why this would
be a problem but just sounds like it could lead to trouble.

What about the thrust bearing?

My memory is not as good as it once was but I believe that I replaced the
mains and thrust on my 70 B without pulling the engine.  I can't remember
using any special tools but since the family business was a machine shop we
had or could make tools as a matter of course and I may not remember doing
so.  Is the 5 bearing engine different as far as needing pullers for the
main saddles and having the two screws from the front plate into the front
saddle?  Not that it makes that much difference to me but I expect that
once I get the pan off, I will remember more about my last experience.

As always, any input will be greatly appreciated.  I am on the digest so if
you could please send to me directly (along with the list, if you feel that
it is appropriate).

I am sure that I have asked this to some of you before or even the whole
list but, as I said, the memory is not that strong.  Humor an old fart and
repeat yourself.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA oil pressure challenged but still full after 500 miles!