Q about gas tanks and uncarage restoration

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Q about gas tanks and uncarage restoration
From: "Jeffrey B. Lewis" <jblewis@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 May 97 11:19:27 EDT
Hi all,

I recently decided to replace the rear springs in my 72B.  While I under the
car I
noticed few problems that I have been putting off for a few years now.
First, the gas tank does not seem to be original.  The fuel pickup is not a
threaded outlet on the side of tank, but rather a metal tube that comes from
the sender. and inlet is vertical rather and angled.  Has anyone seen this
sort of set up?

I have had some problems with fuel fumes in the trunk and so I decided to
take this odd tank out and have a look for rust holes, it seems sound (the
top was covered with grease). The trunk has a bit of rust on the inside and
so I decided to clean up the bottom of the trunk floor.

Looking through several restoration books, I have found very little advice
as to how to restore/refinish the undercarriage.  The bottom of the car is
covered in a very hard irregular coating of unknown origin, I was afraid
this could be hiding a lot of rust.

I was able to remove most of this stuff with a knotted wire brush on a small
angle grinder but it wasn't easy and what a mess, the underlying metal was
sound and smooth.   What was this stuff was brushing off?  I plan to paint
the brushed areas with hammerite, is this a good choice? What is "right way"
to deal with underside of the old LBC?

thanks,

Jeff Lewis
72B
Jeffrey Lewis                                   jblewis@mit.edu
Department of Political Science                 617.258.5888
MIT E53-436
Cambridge MA 02139