tinker top frame

To: RJohn50603@aol.com
Subject: tinker top frame
From: Rich Mason <rmason@ro.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 12:26:56 -0500
You wrote:
> What years was the MGB tinker toy top frame used?
>
> I have added a GT back seat to my roadster for my daughter. With the top up
> there's plenty of head room, but with the top down, there's not room to sit.
>
> The tinker toy removable top that's stored in the boot would eliminate this
> problem.

Randy-

That's exactly what I did.  According to MOSS - the stowable top frame was
standard through RD#219000 ('70 model), but early on (sometime in 1964?) the
folding frame became an option.  I purchased one used through someone on the
MGS list - think I paid $75 for it including shipping.

A couple of observations on this modification:

1)  When you remove the folding top frame, the three bolts on each side are
a little too long.  You can either buy shorter ones or use some washers (I
opted to buy the shorter bolts).

2)  In my case, it appears that the top needs to be a bit longer (probably
an inch) to make it over the stowable frame.  Since I was not immediately in
the market for a new top, I extend the front bow all the way, and just push
the rear one back a little (since this is for emergency use only.)  It would
look a lot nicer if the rear bow could be extended - but I don't want to
risk tearing the seams out.

3)  Removing the folding frame from the header rail was easy...but removing
the top from the rear bow was a pain...as it was contact cemented along the
whole width with one tab of material bonded to the bow, and the other tab of
material bonded to the first.  I didn't want to cut the material - in case I
had to go back to using the folding frame.

Good luck,

Rich Mason
'73 MGB
Huntsville, AL