Springs

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Springs
From: Ann Snyder <snydera@mis.finchcms.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 12:39:03 -0500
Bob Allen wrote:
>I hear folks put GT springs on their Roadsters. I, myself, can't figure out
why you would want to do that.
        'Makes it easier to get over those nasty speed bumps.  We also had
the experience of replacement springs that were as bad after only a year of
use as the ones we had taken off.  Since then, Jake has had leaf springs
rebuilt by a company that rebuilds truck springs- needed longer U bolts to
put them on, but we haven't wiped out a muffler since then.  Handling is
fine, and, as for ride comfort, we were able to endure 23 plus hours in this
car last year for the University Motors Endurance Rally.
        And just how comfortable do we want to be?  One of the saddest
comments on driving that I've seen lately was an article in the Chicago
Tribune on the efforts of car makers to "baby the Boomers".  The caption to
a photo of a '97 Corvette read "With buyers averaging 45 years old, the 1997
Chevy Corvette got bigger graphics and a lower door sill for an older, less
agile customer."  Many vintage racing drivers are over 45!  Too many
automakers are making driving a "white bread experience".  I applaud BMW for
emphasizing in its print advertisements that it still makes cars with manual
transmissions.  I should have bought that T shirt with a can of worms that
says "I'd rather eat worms than drive an automatic".  I'm glad there are
still LBC people out there (even if we didn't see them on the road during BCW).
        There are also a lot of people out there who probably wish they
still had their LBCs. As I was loading groceries into the GT Saturday
morning, I heard the familiar question "What year is it?"  The question
almost always is almost always followed by "I used to have a __ (fill in
year) MG".  In this case, the observer had owned a 66 roadster.  Looking at
the GT, he said "It's in good shape."  He was being kind: it is beginning to
show the effects of the 7 Chicago-style winters since we rebuilt it.  So I
told him that we would have to do some body work soon because we drive it
year-round.  He smiled and said that he used to have trouble getting his
roadster to go up hill in the snow.  He seemed really happy to see one on
the road.  As I was pulling out of the parking space, I regretted not
mentioning the fall British Car Festival to him- especially when I saw the
vanity plates on his Jeep - "RUG B FAN".

Ann
  '72 B GT
  '71 B roadster
  '2 many project cars to mention