Re: Pulling Engine/Trans=Can't find...

To: "Berry Kercheval" <kerch@parc.xerox.com>,
Subject: Re: Pulling Engine/Trans=Can't find...
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 18:13:54 -0400
Hey, I'm not the DPO, I'm the CPO (Current permanent owner), so I can cut
all the holes I want!  Actually, cutting the hole was not my original
idea...the car came with a hole  in the bottom pan under the front U-joint,
but it looked like it was made by running the car over a stake in the
ground.  I just cleaned it up and made a cover plate.  But after the new
front U-joint I bought to replace the original showed up with a grease
fitting installed, I thought the access hole was a good idea. I'm not sure
how the designers of this configuration thought anybody was supposed to
lubricate the front U-joint.  Pulling the driveshaft out everytime you want
to do this is a little much.

Steve "The Butcher" Byers
Havelock, NC
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "009"
'66 Healey BJ8 HBJ8L/36666  "TARHEELY"
----------
<byers@cconnect.net>
healeys@autox.team.net; british-cars@autox.team.net; kerch@parc.xerox.com
> Subject: Re: Pulling Engine/Trans=Can't find...
> Date: Monday, May 19, 1997 5:10 PM
>
> Not as bad as the LAME PO of mine. He hacked open the top half of the
> tunnel from rearward of the shifter clear to the firewall!. Worst hack
job
> I've ever seen. It will be back to normal soon though.
>
> Gerard

> > > I made it easier by cutting a
> > > hole in the bottom pan under the front U-joint
> >
> >ACK!  DPO!
> >
> > > and making a cover plate for this hole.
> >
> >Well, at least you made the cover!  I've had two sprites, both with this
hole
> >cut and nary a cover in sight.  Good for you.
> >

> >  --berry
> >
> >Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research
Center