Re: wiring for weenies

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: wiring for weenies
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 15:23:23 -0400
J. Adrian Barnes wrote:
> Are there wiring diagrams for the schematicly-impaired, that say "the
> white wire with the green stripe connects to the little terminal just
> under your headlight" instead of lots of unrecognizable lines and
> symbols?

  The diagram in a typical haynes manual technically isn't a
proper schematic, it's a wiring diagram.

  A schematic shows functional wiring, like it will show lines
dissolving into grounds and power leads, without saying where
because schematically it's not important. As well, on a
schematic unrelated systems are seperate, whereas on the diagram
they are intertwined because they share ground and power
leads.

  I'd suggest actually just putting up with the wiring diagram. They
can be confusing, but they are compact and very explicit.

  I can't imaging a wiring diagram done in words like you specify,
it would be enormous and baffling to follow. The diagram allows
easy questions like "where does this wire go and what does
it do", where the text would require reading over and over to
be sure the correct wire is being used. Remember that there
is often not "a white wire with green stripe", there can
be many wires of the same colours, as well as both ends
of the same wire that come out of the harness near each other.

  My suggestion would be to buy neon highlighter markers for
every wiring colour, and ink up the diagram to make it look
more like the car. Then take your time.

--
 /       Trevor Boicey         1992 Celica GT    1975 MG Midget     /