Re: wiring for weenies

To: tboicey@brit.ca, mgs@Autox.Team.Net, adrian@utk.edu
Subject: Re: wiring for weenies
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 17:17:09 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-05-21, Trevor Boicey wrote:

>   The diagram in a typical haynes manual technically isn't a
>  proper schematic, it's a wiring diagram.

This is true, but I must say, the wiring diagrams for the MGs are among the
worst I've evre seen. In 28 years as an Electrical Engineer, I've seen a lot
of different types of wiring diagrams.

Although the MGs and the Triumphs are very similar electrically, the Triumph
diagrams are so much easier to follow. The MG diagrams try to show the
physical layout, as well as the electrical arrangement. I am currently in the
process of redrawing the MG diagrams to make them easier to read, but at the
rate I work, it will be a while before I'm done.

The best advice I can offer, is to take the diagrams to a copier that can
make enlargements, and have them blown up to 11 x 17 size. Then, as Trevor
suggested, use neon markers to trace the wires. It is a lot simpler than it
first appears, and after a little while, it will become quite easy.

The second step is to become familiar with the color codes, at least for the
4 primary groups:

1) Brown wires. These are the primary power distribution wires from the
battery/alternator. They are hot at all times, and are NOT fused.

2) Purple wires. These are hot at all times, and are fused. They are fed from
the Brown wires. These are typically for courtesy lamps, trunck lamps, etc.

3) White wires. The are hot only when the ignition key is on, and they are
NOT fused. These are primarily the ignition circuits, and other components
required to run the engine, such as the fuel pump.

4) Green wires. These are hot only when the ignition key is on, and they are
fused. They are fed from the White wires. These are for accessories that only
operate when the car is running, such as WS wipers, Turn Signal, etc.

Memorizing these color codes will help a lot. The other color codes are not
so important to remember, as you can look them up as you go. There are over
50 different color codes used in an MG!

Hope this helps a little.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN