Locking up the engine

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Locking up the engine
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 16:11:42 -0700
I need to remove the big crank pully nut on my '78 Midget. When I try
the way that should work, putting the car in gear with the wife on the
brakes, I end up overpowering the clutch and rotating the engine anyway.
I need some other way to prevent the engine from rotating, any ideas?

I thought of the old rope in the cylinder trick, where you remove a
spark plug and push in a bunch of rope- rotate the engine untill it
compresses the rope and locks up, but it seems that that might be hard
on the bearings as I'm using a breaker bar with an extention, probably
generating 300 ft.lbs+ at the nut. Should I remove the starter and try
to jam something against the ring gear?
Is there a easy way that I'm not seeing?
-Aron Travis-
"always in a automotive frenzy"