Re: Locking up the engine

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Locking up the engine
From: Mark Moburg <markmoburg@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 18:36:00 -0700
At 10:01 PM 5/21/97 +0800, you wrote:
>Aron:
>
>When I removed the crank pulley from my MGB, I just put a short piece of pipe
>over the handle of my breaker bar, so the end rested on the garage floor. Then
>I jumped into the car and cranked the engine over on the starter for half a
>second (coil wire removed, so the engine wouldn't fire up). It popped right
>off. Getting it torqued up when I put it back on was the real problem. An air
>driven impact wrench is probably the way to go.
>
>Regards,
>Jerry Causey
>'67 MGB GT
>
>> I need to remove the big crank pully nut on my '78 Midget. When I try
>> the way that should work, putting the car in gear with the wife on the
>> brakes, I end up overpowering the clutch and rotating the engine anyway.
>> I need some other way to prevent the engine from rotating, any ideas?

===Reply===

Second the air impact wrench.  If you can get friendly with a truck tire
shop, they will have a 1-inch drive impact wrench that looks like a
chainsaw, with big jeezly sockets.  One of them should fit your pulley bolt.
Did this for a friend who had a Mazda rotary.  Those are hard to get the
pulley bolt off of, because the rotary engine turns so easily.  One quick
blip from the impact wrench and the thing was off.

Mark Moburg
markmoburg@mindspring.com