Re: Rivets - now what?

To: Jamey Harris <jameyh@charles.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: Rivets - now what?
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 19:52:52 -0500
Jamey Harris wrote:

> A couple weeks ago I got some great advice from some of you on how to
> remove the rivets in my sunvisor clips (I'm trying to replace them).
> Well, I've finally gotten around to working on it, and I've had great
> success in removing the old clips by drilling the rivets untill the
> washers came off, but what do I do now.  I've got these rough little
> stubs of aluminum sticking out of the windshield, and I can't seem to
> pull them out with pliers.  Do I keep on drilling untill they
> disintegrate into dust?  Do I have to take the windshield apart and pull
> them out from the other side?  Do I just jam another rivet in there?
> Penetrating oil?  Acid?  Peanut butter?
>
> Thanks in advance as usual,
>
> Jamey Harris
> '79B

Jamey -
        You can continue to drill them *carefully* - there is glass in there,
and you don't want to crack the windshield.  You won't be able to pull
them out with pliers, as they are flared on the back side.  I would
reduce the size by filing and/or drilling to get them as short as
possible, then push them through.  If the rubber seal tries to push them
back, you may need to try to get them to move sideways after you have
pushed them in.  Can't see how the remaining bits would hurt anything
inside the frame, the rubber seal would keep them from rattling - like
you could hear it over the noise of the car, anyway!

Good Luck
--
Keep on keepin' on!

Wayne Kube              1979 MGB