Re: Carbon Cannisters

To: Ricko595@aol.com
Subject: Re: Carbon Cannisters
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Richard M Morrison)
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 00:17:45 EDT
On Mon, 26 May 1997 09:01:04 -0400 (EDT) Ricko595@aol.com writes:
>Any one on the list ever open up their carbon cannisters and replace
>the
>charcoal? I have a '78 B and the cannisters are hermetically sealed.
>At $50
>each it seems a waste to just throw the old ones away and buy new. I
>have
>thought of drilling a hole in the side large enough to thread for a
>1/2' pipe
>plug. I read somewhere that someone had sawn one in half and then
>glued it
>back together, but I am kind of leery of this as they look like they
>might be
>made out of something that would not easily glue back together. Thanks
>- Rick

Rick,
I  Have opened the cannister on my 72 B. The bottom is a 1/8 turn to open
arrangement. If your 78 is really sealed, you can probably get on off an
earlier model from a wrecking yard for a couple of bucks.

I didn't replace the carbon, but did remove it and "refresh" the granules
via the heat process which was covered in a posting last week. I don't
remember who sent it but they will probably chime in with an encore
presentation.  It's not a hard process, just takes a bit of time.

Rick Morrison