Carbon Cannisters

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Carbon Cannisters
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 97 08:40 PDT
>I didn't replace the carbon, but did remove it and "refresh" the granules
>via the heat process which was covered in a posting last week. I don't
>remember who sent it but they will probably chime in with an encore
>presentation.  It's not a hard process, just takes a bit of time.

>Rick Morrison
At Rick's suggestion..Here it is again....

You don't have to throw it away and replace.  You may wish to after you read
this...

     I have refurbished several canisters already and I find it relatively
easy to do.
Remove the unit from the car and turn it upside down. Find a sheet of
plastic a couple of feet square or, as I do, use an empty 1 gallon ice cream
bucket. Holding the unit inside the bucket, or close to the plastic, unscrew
the base (now on top), it may need a good firm grip because it has been in
place a while. With the base off there should be a plastic grille exposed,
pop this out by carefully prying at the lock tabs on the outer edge, some
early units don't have the tabs. This should now expose some nylon gauze
like material, remove this and you will see the carbon granules. Empty these
into the bucket or onto the plastic sheet. There is another gauze at the
other end together with a metal or plastic screen/grille and a large spring.
The spring can cause the contents to be pushed out as you unscrew the base,
this is the reason for the bucket.
Now comes the refurbish process....
Find a metal cookie tray or shallow metal object large enough to spread the
granules on and not have them piled high. I use a baking tray that is about
1/2 inch deep 12x8 inch.
Find someone that has a barbecue grill OUTSIDE. Light the grill and bake the
tray and granules for about and hour (until tender!) The baking drives off
the gasoline and dries out the carbon. DO NOT TRY THIS IN THE HOUSE! The
fumes are obnoxious and unhealthy, not to forget that they are extremely
flammable.
Next time you or your significant other go to the grocery store or hardware
store, look for some thin nylon scouring pads. I have found a source that
comes in a group of 3 or 4 colors about 4x6 or so inches and about 1/4 inch
thick. Cut a couple of disks from these to replace the gauze removed
previously.
The reassembly I don't need to go through, except to say I usually end up
with a few spilled granules of carbon. Beats spending $40-50. and it works
fine. Good luck, John
E-mail jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com  John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.
408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.  **  USUAL DISCAILMERS APPLY  **
1969 MGBGT;1972 MGB;1976 MGB-RESTORED;1979 MGB; 1974 MGB daily driver.