Replace camshaft--Any hints?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Replace camshaft--Any hints?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 00:18:52 +0000
I'm going to try to replace my cam ('72 MGB) this coming weekend,
with the engine in the car, and would like to ask your advice.
First, do you think this is do-able in nine hours, in a fully-stocked
auto shop?  It's not vital that I get it done this quickly, but if I
can, it would be great.
Second, I know I'll have to pull the radiator, and possibly the fan,
but the chilton's manual at the shop says that the steering rack will
have to be unbolted and moved forward.  Is this a big job?
Any hints on removing the crankshaft bolt without the engine
turning?  The torque spec for it is only 70 ft-lbs, so I figure a
3/4" air impact wrench will spin it off without giving the engine
time to move.
        I'll do a proper break-in on the cam, and have it lubed
well.  After the initial break-in of 30 or 35 minutes, can I just
treat it like it's been in there for years, or is there a follow-up
break-in period to observe?
        Lastly, I've ordered a new double-row timing gear set, and would
like to know if there are any tricks to getting the old one off and
the new one on.
        Any hints, no matter how obscure, would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner